Sweet Urine smell - causes?

Patient

Q: Hello. I am 20 years old. I would like to know if there could be any problem with my health, because my urine smells sweet. The smell is really strong and I noticed it about 2 weeks ago. I hope you can help me on this matter Regards,

Doctor

A:   A sweet smelling urine may indicate the presence of sugars in the urine. This may occur in uncontrolled diabetes mellitus, diabetic ketoacidosis and in rare cases mapel syrup urine disease. I would suggest that you consult your doctor for a urinalysis, kidney function tests and blood glucose levels to rule out diabetes and underlying urinary infection.