x
152 Physicians Online

Question:

Swelling and redness of the left ankle and foot at night

My left foot ankle and leg are swollen without any injury. The swelling reduces in the evening but never goes away. The red color also disappears in the morning. The right leg is perfect

Answer:

There are several causes of swollen ankles and feet, generally they are not cause for concern, particularly if you have been standing or walking a lot. But feet and ankles that stay swollen or are accompanied by other symptoms could indicate a serious health problem. For example, swelling of the ankles and feet is often an early symptom of venous insufficiency, a condition in which blood inadequately moves up the veins from the legs and feet up to the heart. Chronic venous insufficiency can lead to skin changes, skin ulcers, and infection. If you experience signs of venous insufficiency you should see your doctor.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.