Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Swelling and Soreness after removal of cast for Hand fracture.

Swelling and Soreness after removal of cast for Hand fracture.

Patient: Hey doc, I fell at work and fractured my left hand. The doctor said i also damaged some ligaments. He then told the nurse to put a cast on it. That was on 10-4-11. I got the cast off on 11-1-11. My hane is still very swollen and sore. I can’t make a fist or open my hand fully. Is this normal?

Doctor: It is common to experience swelling and soreness after cast removal. It usually takes 6-8 weeks for the fractured hand t o heal. You may experience stiffness of the fingers and it is helpful if you begin movements of the fingers as early as possible. The only time you may be concerned is if you notice decreased sensation or numbness or discoloration of the fingers.