Swelling in front of right ear

Patient : My son has a lump in front of his right ear and swelling on the right side of his head and redness in is right eye. our doctor told us a cold has settled in his head and gave us some antibiodics. is this common?
Doctor :   Swelling in front of the ear could be due to a lymph node swelling or parotid gland enlargement due to mumps. I dont thi nk that you should be too concerned. The antibiotics should cover any bacterial infection and if it is due to mumps, it will simply run its course. Most children will recover within about two weeks.