Switching to Whole Milk Dilemma

Patient

Q: My 9 month old son is refusing formula and wants only solid foods. He has MAYBE 16 ounces a day if that. Can I go ahead and change him to whole milk instead.

Doctor

A:   One year is recommended as a minimum age when switching to whole milk, switching an infant to whole milk earlier deprives the baby of the much more complete source of nutrition that formula or breast milk are able to provide. There is a lot of nerological development and growth that occurs in the first year, and its best to provide as much nutrition as possible during this period.  Perhaps you can try changing the brand of the formula to see if he will prefer it more.

One year is recommended as a minimum age when switching to whole milk, switching an infant to whole milk earlier deprives the baby of the much more complete source of nutrition that formula or breast milk are able to provide. There is a lot of nerological development and growth that occurs in the first year, and its best to provide as much nutrition as possible during this period.  Perhaps you can try changing the brand of the formula to see if he will prefer it more.