Swollen and Itchy eyelids and Rash Around the Eyes

Patient

Q: Having an allergic reaction. I had for couple days puffy eyes and swollen eyelids and scratchy itching watery eyes, and a rash on my back. Don' know t what it is.

Doctor

A:   The redness may be due to an allergic reaction of the outer layer (conjunctiva) of the eye when it comes in contact with the dust, smoke, pollution etc. Eyes may become watery, itchy, red or may be swollen sometimes. You can try taking and antihistamine and a non steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) to help with the symptoms.  You should avoid touching or rubbing the affected eye because it may lead to the spread of infection to the other eye.