Swollen and warm Knee

Patient: “Swelling of the knee, much warmer to the touch then normal.” what can I do at home to help it?

Doctor: ItIs important to determine if this swelling and warmth of your knee are accompanied of other symptoms like: pain, redne ss, limitation of the movements, if it is limited to that one knee or goes to other joints. The joint pain can be caused by injury or disease affecting any of the ligaments, bursae, or tendons surrounding the joint. Injury or disease can also affect the ligaments, cartilage, and bones within the joint, leading to a painful joint. Pain is also a feature of joint inflammation (arthritis) and infection. I strongly recommend that you make an appointment with your Doctor so he may take a history of your symptoms leading up to and associated with your knee swelling. What activities, if any, you were doing when your knee began to swell up , if there are any aggravating and relieving conditions that affect the degree of swelling will also be important to discuss. After an examination, you might require further testing, including blood tests and  x-rays or other imaging studies. With this initial evaluation it will be easier to determine the best treatment option for you. The treatment of joint problems is directed toward the precise underlying cause.