Swollen ankle and sore leg in a young female

Q: Hello, I hope you can help me! I have no health insurance and no money (like everybody in this country right now!), and I'm experiencing a very strange issue... About 2 months ago I went on a road trip from LA to Arizona, stayed there for the weekend, and right before leaving one morning when waking up, my calf was feeling very sore. I didn't think anything of it, and later on in the car I didn't really feel the soreness anymore. The next weekend, I went to Disneyland and walking around for 3 days straight was when I REALLY started noticing that the soreness wouldn't go away. A few days later, my calf felt fine, but I noticed that my ankle (same leg) was extremely swollen! I tried elevating it and putting ice on it (as instructed on many websites). For a few days everything was fine, but then every once in a while (especially after driving or walking a lot), my ankle swells up and sometimes my whole leg feels sore... I don't know what to do!! I can't afford to see a doctor. Could you please help me?

A:   In the view that you do not have a history of a traumatism, and this swelling is happening more frequently now and taking not just the ankle but the whole leg, besides you have history of have been camping outdoors, I strongly recommend that you get a thoroughly lab and clinical evaluation by a doctor to rule out infectious, metabolic, thyroid, vascular, lymphatic causes that might be producing the swelling that you described. There is no other way to know for sure the cause of your problem.