Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Swollen ankles after standing or walking for a period of time

Swollen ankles after standing or walking for a period of time

Patient: In these couple of years, my ankles will tend to swell after standing or walking for a period of time. Recently, while exercising my feet would have a tingling sensation, which feels as if they are becoming numb. I’ve checked that while exercising, neither my shoes nor socks are too tight. At night, my feet would usually be cold. What could be the causes? Could it be a case of poor blood circulation? As I tend to get bruises at the slightest bump and I am experiencing hair loss as well. I have also developed some allergies(eg, to cashew nuts, alcohol, prawns) which I didn’t have when I was younger. In fact, I did not have any allergies when I was a kid, until my mid-20s. I was overweight since I was a kid till my teenage years, at my heaviest I was 85kg at 1.69cm. But I’ve had managed to lose 20kg with the help of Hydroxycut and some exercise and maintained at 64kg for the past 10 years. I’m just worried that there are some underlying causes affecting my health, which I’m not aware of.

Doctor: It is not uncommon the swelling of lower legs and feet when the person has been standing or walking a lot. If the swelli ng persists and is accompanied by other symptoms as shortness of breath, weight gain, skin problems, in this case some other conditions of kidney, heart, liver or blood vessels must be rule out. If you are in Birth control, review this with your doctor, because taking hormones is a well known cause of liquid retention and swollen feet. Some other causes of swollen feet are: eating a poor diet in salt and carbs, pregnancy, PMS, varicose veins, laxative abuse, diuretic abuse, drug abuse. The treatment depends on the cause but I can give you some general measures that may be helpful: drink plenty of water during the day, put your feet up (12 inches above the level of your heart for 10-15 minutes, 3-4 times a day), do not abuse laxatives, use support stockings, try to exercise regularly to improve circulation, avoid standing or sitting for long periods of time.