Swollen ankles and sore feet

Patient

Q: My ankles are always swollen,just one side(puffy) the outside part ,not the inside, my feet don't swell at all,but now my feet are starting to hurt alittle and my lower legs and ankle area are very tender. I have spider veins on my legs and feet,not varcoise.would there be a connection?or can it be something else? thanks for your answer april

Doctor

A:   If this swelling has taken place without any history of trauma then you probably have edema which is the accumulation of fluid in the tissue space leading to swelling. This could be due to liver problems, kidney problems or heart problems depending on your past medical history.  You will need more investigations to analyse this problem. I advice you to see your GP for an indepth examination. Alll the best.