Swollen feet after spine surgery

Patient

Q: I had a spinal fusion on January 31st 2011. The incision is fine. For the past few days my feet have had severe swelling. Is this something to be concerned about and what is the cause of it?

Doctor

A:   There are complications of spinal fusion surgery that may lead to leg swelling. However, these complications are not very common. It is quite likely that your current symptoms are not related to your recent surgery. Common causes of bilateral leg swelling (both feet simultaneously swollen) include circulation disorders, heart failure and kidney diseases. You should get this new symptom checked out as soon as possible.