Swollen foot caused by leg surgery?

Patient : Hello, My father had upper leg surgery a few weeks ago. Just yesterday, the foot associated with that leg has become painful and extremely swollen, he can't move it around much. He has an appointment in 2 days to check it out. I want to know if this could be associated with a blood clot and we should take him to the emergency room before that?
Doctor :   The pain and swelling could be associated with a deep vein thrombosis (clot), which should be treated as soon as possibl e. Untreated DVT may have devastating, life-threatening complications such as the clot migrating to the lung resulting respiratory and circulatory failure!