Swollen Knee

Patient: I am 89 years, I twisted my knee on Monday. It is swollen badly and I can not put any pressure on the foot. I take a 325 Enteric aspiren everyother day and I have been taking Motrin every four hours. What can I take to reduce the swelling and pain till I can get in to see the Doctor?

Doctor: Direct blows to the knee may produce injury of the ligaments, menisci, bones or capsule, but if there is no significant t swelling or deformity, and no limitation on the active movements (flexion, extension), a fracture or dislocation can be ruled out. Also if there is no instability or locking a menisci lesion may be ruled out.The suggested strategy for the initial treatment includes: use of local ice, rest, elevation of the leg, anti-inflammatory drugs (as “advil”, “motrin”) and the use of a knee immobilizer. If all these directions are followed, then the normal function should return in few days, but if the pain, swelling and limitation on the movements persist an Orthopedic Surgeon must re-evaluate the injured knee. Please be careful with the gastrointestinal side effects of combining aspiring with an anti inflammatory medication as “motrin”.

View all posts