Swollen knee after a sprain

Patient

Q: Hello My name is Pavan Kumar. I have recently faced some knee sprain while i was playing shuttle My right knee swollen. I have contacted orthpaedist . He took X-ray, and told the intact of bones are normal. Due to a fluid, you are facing that swelling. I have been on medication for the past 5 days. The swelling restricted some of my movements of leg. I faced a lot of problem while walking. After this medication, i felt good in walking, but still the swelling is there. I consulted doctor again, he told that it take some days for the swelling to vanish. I am able to walk slowly.But i am in dilemma when this swelling disappears and my normal function of the leg come back. Sometimes the neves in the leg feels like moving. One more thing is that, while i was walking sometimes, my body weight is falling on left leg. Today i am facing some coldness in the left knee. I dont know why it is like this. Can any one suggest please.

Doctor

A:    Most likely you have a liquid collection in your prepatellar bursa produced by the previous traumatism (sprain). The prepatellar bursa is a superficial bursa with a thin synovial lining located between the skin and the patella. Normally, it does not communicate with the joint space and contains a minimal amount of fluid; however, inflammation of the prepatellar bursa results in marked increase of fluid within its space, like a “golf ball”. Apparently you had an uncomplicated knee injury that with conservative treatment has a great chance to improve, anyways if you notice one or more of the following symptoms: more inflammation, remarkable limitation on flexion-extension movements, locking of the knee, or instability, the next step would be an evaluation by an Orthopedic Surgeon. But if this is not the case, the suggested strategy would be: protection (avoid activities or movements that may produce pain, especially kneeling), local ice packs for periods no more than 15 minutes each time, and after, local hot compresses, you could use anti-inflammatory medication (i.e.: “Aleve”, “Advil”). The healing time is different for each patient but generally there is a progressive improvement during the next 4-6 weeks after the injury.