Swollen knee for two months from impact injury, neither painful or weak

Patient

Q: I hit the right side of my right knee two months ago. The skin has completely healed, the joint has little to no pain associated with it, and there is no loss of strength. However, the area around the impact point remains swollen, and even my lower leg is slightly swollen, as well. It has been this way for two months, now, and I was wondering if it would be okay to poke a hole with a sterilized needle to aspirate the swelling (I have no health insurance).

Doctor