Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Swollen lymph node after a cough and cold

Swollen lymph node after a cough and cold

Patient: Hi I have a swollen lymph node in my neck exactly where my head meets my neck. I’ve had this swollen node for a week now ever since I had a cold with a sore throat. The node is about the size of a pee and is irritating to touch. I would like to know what is the cause of this? Thank you, Shane

Doctor: The cause of the swollen lymph node is the infection that you had ie the cold and the sore throat. Lymph nodes of the ne ck usually drain the stuctures of the head and neck ie the throat,glands etc. Thus when there is an infection it leads to drainage of the infection into the adjacent lymph nodes and inflammation of the nodes. This should regress slowly as the infection cures and should disapear one- one and a half weeks post infection. All the best.