Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Swollen Lymph nodes in axilla: Should I get tested?

Swollen Lymph nodes in axilla: Should I get tested?

Patient: Dear Ask the Doctor: I have had swollen lymph nodes in my underarm area and around my left breast for a year now, I have been to two different doctors expressing my concerns about this. The first told me they were not concerned about it and the second gave me a couple rounds of antibiotics which did not change or reduce the swollen lymphnodes. My doctor does not think it is necessary to do any testing.However, I am very worried about the possibility of lymphoma and am wondering if this could really be nothing or if I should seek a third opinion?

Doctor: If this has been infact going on for a while i would advice further testing like an ultrasound and a fine needle biopsy of the lymph node to rule out a lyphoma or a malignancy like breast cancer which can drain into the lymph nodes in the axilla. Kindly consult your GP once again with these concerns. All the best.