Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Swollen Lymph Nodes in groin and fever

Swollen Lymph Nodes in groin and fever

Patient: Hello, yesterday the lymph nodes in my groin area became a bit swollen and tender to the touch. I can feel pain when I walk and it is uncomfortable. I also had a fever last night with night sweats and chills which was pretty rough but seem to be over that now. The swollen lymph nodes are still present and still painful. I am a bit worried because about 3 weeks ago I had sex with a stripper at a friends bachelor party, I did have a condom on but we made out quite a bit. That was the first time I’ve done something like that so it has me a bit concerned and I have never had this issue before. Any ideas of what this could be?

Symptoms: Swollen lymph nodes in groin, fever for about about 24 hours

Doctor: Hello.Thanks for contacting askthedoctor.comI understand your concern about the development of swollen painful groin and inguinal lymph nodes with fever and pain. This must be indeed stressful for you for the fear of an STD may be constantly lingering on your mind.Considering your symptoms and history of sexual contact with a stripper and unprotected intercourse does suggest a sexually transmitted disease as the most likely possibility. Most common causes of such presentation are granuloma inguinale,lymphogranuloma venerum, chlamydial infection in some cases accompanied with urinary tract infection and also gonorrhoea which may present with a urethral discharge first and if left untreated may involve the lymph nodes.The presence of fever and pain indicates an infective cause.I would suggest you to meet your physician at the earliest and get yourself evaluated for the likely std contraction. He may ask for a urethral swab culture and a urine culture and may perform an FNAC (fine needle aspiration cytology) if required to confirm the diagnosis and then would place you on antibiotics if need be.But in any case, a visit to the physician is warranted as soon as possible as you already have fever and chances that you may get abscess of lymph nodes if no treatment is sought.I hope i have answered your query in detail.Wishing you speedy recovery and good health.