Swollen penis after hernia surgery

Patient : Is it normal for my penis to swell after I have gone in for Hernia surgery? I am asking because this is what has happened to my brother and he is extremely worried.
Doctor :   A swollen penis after hernia repair surgery is not normal and is a symptom of a complication of the procedure. The swell ing occurs from a collection of fluid at the operation site that has spread to the penis. The swelling usually resolves on its own but your brother should return to his surgeon nonetheless to ensure that there are no other issues that need to be addressed. This swelling could also be the result of a collection of blood. This complication is more serious and requires the surgeon to evacuate the clotted blood from the wound and arrest any bleeding vessels.