Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Swollen sternum on the right side

Swollen sternum on the right side

Patient: Hello!I am a 16 years old girl and I have asthma. Last night I noticed that my right side of my sternum is swollen. I went to high school infirmary and the doctor(a male, he couldn’t see exactly what’s wrong) told that probably is because of soda / coffee etc.I asked my biology teacher and she told me thats because of pressure in a blood vessel from too much exercise. Last Friday I ran a lot, and today I climbed and descended the stairs school because I was on duty. At the touch the swelling starts somewhere in the chest and then follow the coast ( coast goes under the breast) . It hurts only if I press alittle. What can and what can be done about it ?Thanks in advance!

Symptoms: Hurts just if I touch it

Doctor: Hello.Welcome to Ask The Doctor.I have read your query in detail and understand your concern.This seems to be mu scular swelling and pain.The pattern of Muscular chest pain is that it aggravates with movement. It is dull, diffuse and continuous in nature.In such scenario, I would advise a Chest X-ray. This will rule out any fracture there.I advise following to my patients in case of Muscular pain:1. To do hot fomentation over the involved area 3-4 times a day.2. To apply Diclofenac Gel locally over the involved area.3. To take anti-inflammatory and analgesic pain killer like Ibuprofen, Etoricoxib only for short duration.4. Avoid strenuous exercises and activities.Share my opinion with your doctor.Get well soon.Stay Healthy