Symptoms and diagnosis of asthma

Q: I felt tight on my chest and experienced shortness of my breath. I consulted a doctor. He examined my body and suggested to go for x-ray. After complete examination he told that Iam suffering from Asthma and it is in the beginning stage. My question is - Can't Asthma be cured even it is in the beginning stage ?? Suggest some medicine. Iam 32 years old. I consumed medicine suggested by him and of no use. Now if I drink cold water I suffer from cough. Kindly suggest me the medicine which gives permanent cure.

A:   The "classic" symptoms of asthma are intermittent shortness of breath, cough, and wheezing. Asthma is a condition of reversible airway obstruction. This can be diagnosed by >20% variability in peak expiratory flow measurements. For mild intermittent asthma symptoms there is evidence supporting the use of a short acting beta agonist such as salbutamol, taken as needed for relief of symptoms. If your asthma is categorized as mild persistent asthma, the next step is initiation of daily long-term controller medication in the form of a low dose inhaled glucorticoid (steroid), in addition to a short acting beta agonist. I would recommend regular monitoring of your peak flow measurements and attending your family doctor or respirologist to categorise your asthma symptoms and outline the best treatment options in your case.