x
Browse
169 Physicians Online

Question:

Symptoms of anxiety and depression

8 months ago i was diagnosed with Anxiety after losing my mum. But for the last few weeks I have been constantly been short of breath and feel like I just want to constantly stay in bed as I have no energy at all. I also have had sleeping problems and have been crying more than normal. I a constantly scared of little things that never bothered me before and a really worried about it. The doctor told me to quit smoking but I cant and I am worried about taking medication because if the side effects. This is really affecting me everyday and is affecting my day to day activities. I constantly feel tired and just cannot leave the house either. i have also had flu like symptoms too. I have had a bit of stress recently could this be my anxiety getting worse as I do not see to be as active as I used to be or depression?

Answer:

I am really sorry about your mom and what you are going through. I do understand your concern about depression and it is very acceptable to go through these feelings during times like these. A major depressive syndrome or episode manifests with five or more of the following symptoms :

Depressed mood
Loss of interest or pleasure in most or all activities
Insomnia or hypersomnia
Change in appetite or weight
Psychomotor retardation or agitation
Low energy
Poor concentration
Thoughts of worthlessness or guilt
Recurrent thoughts about death or suicide

To make a diagnosis of depression, these symptoms should be present most of the day nearly every day for a minimum of two consecutive weeks and at least one symptom is either depressed mood or loss of interest or pleasure. It is very important for you to speak to your doctor or a psychiatrist about your symptoms. Regardless of the modality of treatment selected for initial therapy, the goal of treatment should be symptom remission. Your doctor make chose psychotherapy, alone or in combination with an antidepressant, if a diagnosis of mild to moderate depression is made. I hope I was able to answer some of your queries, take care.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

Dr. Suneel Sharman

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

Dr. Kunaal Jindal

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA