Symptoms of depression

Patient: Hey, I’m a 20 years old female, I am currently a student for computer science. In the past year I had some diffuclties with my studies so I failed some exams, after that I got really depressed. I didn’t get out of bed for two weeks, I used to wake up in the morning and thinking that I can’t get through the day so I would just fall back asleep and not get out of the bed. Now I feel better but I still feel like I’m losing intrest in everything in my life. I like to stay in my home rather that go out and see people I also started smoking excessively. I like to stay in my comfort zone, in my home, in my bed. Those feeling and the lack of intrest in everything is not helping me move forward in my life. I still need to get my degree in computer science, but I just don’t feel the passion towards the subject like I used to before, but I am pretty sure that this is what I want to do. I really would appreciate it if you can tell me what is wrong with me and what should I do to solve this huge problem that I have. Thank you for your time!




Symptoms: Sleeping too much, losing intrest

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for choosing “Ask The Doctor” for posting your query.The symptoms that you have mentioned, suggest that you could be having a depression. The symptoms, which you are describing are occurring due to an imbalance of neurotransmitters in the brain. The neurotransmitters like serotonine, nor-epinephrine, and dopamine. This condition can be corrected with the help of medicines such as fluoxetine, mirtazapine or venlafaxine. These medicines start showing improvement in 2-3 weeks and the illness requires a treatment of 6-8 months. During this period, try to do regular exercise and eat healthy food and try inculcating some hobby. If you averse to medicines, then cognitive behavioural therapy can help you in the treatment of depression. This is a specialized counselling technique mastered by clinical psychologists and is almost as effective as medicine.You may meet your doctor and get these medicines prescribed, or you can request for a psychologist consult.Hope I am able to answer your concerns.Wish you good health!

Was this answer helpful?

Ask The Doctor
Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

Dr. Suneel Sharman completed his residency in Family Medicine at the University of Toronto. He currently operates Infinity Health Centre, a walk-in-clinic in downtown Toronto.

View all posts