Symptoms of increased urination and weak urine stream

Patient

Q: I m urinating all through the night, I have to strain to urinate, the stream is very light and it never feels as though I have competely emptied my bladder. What could be wrong?

Doctor

A:   Symptoms of frequent urination and light stream could be indicative of interstitial cystitis or a urinary tract infection. It is difficult to tell as symptoms for these are almost similar . Cystitis is the medical term for inflammation of the bladder. Most of the time, the inflammation is caused by a bacterial infection, in which case it may be referred to as a urinary tract infection. Antibiotics are the first line of treatment for cystitis caused by bacteria. Which drugs are used and for how long depend on your overall health and the bacteria found in your urine. First you will need to have a urine test done to confirm the diagnosis and take antibiotics such as Nitrofurantoin for at least 3 days or more depending on your symptoms and the quantity of bacteria present in your urine. I would suggest that you also increase your water intake as it will help flush out the bacteria. I wish you a prompt recovery.