Symptoms of shortness of breath with cardiac pacemaker warrants investigation with echocardiography

Patient : My mother has a heart condition and pacemaker. Lately she is starting to get shortness of breath. We went to her heart doctor and he gave her a nasel spray which has helped. Could the shortness of breath be more than allergies?
Doctor :   I think it is very unlikely that the shortness of breath is due to allergies. If she is completely dependent on the pace maker, her shortness of breath could be due to a change in the electrical activity of the heart and reduced efficiency of the pumping ability of the heart. I would recommend that your mother attends a cardiologist and is referred for a heart scan (echocardiogram) to assess her heart function.