Syphilis and its forms of presentation

Patient : How long is it possible for a person to have Syphilis without knowing they have it? I am a male, 42 years of age.
Doctor :   Syphilis can remain latent however typically in primary syphylis you will typically see sores ie chancres in the genital area. If not treated primary syphilis progresses to seconday syphilis which is characterised by a diffuse rash on the body especially the palms and soles.There is a form called latent syphilis which occurs withour symptoms and usually is the stage after secondary syphilis. Anyways if you do suspect that you may have had this condition you need to get tested and treated for the same. All the best.