Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Syphilis since 5 months

Syphilis since 5 months

Patient: I have been carrying syphilis may be since 5 months when i noticed yellowish fluid from my penis. i went to doctor and got doxycycline 100mg for 14 days and found no results.. no sore appeared in my body still as i searched over internet for possible reasons i ran for a VDRL test followed by a TPHA test. both came positive.. I am very afraid now. i also had a test for HIV and it was negative. what is the best treatment for this.. one of my friend too have this and he has been prescribed penicillin 12lakh. and few tablets that coasts approx 1000rs.. What is the cheapest best solution? please make a fast reply

Doctor: Thanks for your question. There are standard guidelines for treating syphilis and the main stay of treatment is ‘Penici llin’ .Alternative antibiotics used are : Tetracycline, erythromycin, ceftriaxone , doxycycline and tetracycline . I understand these are not costly medicines. I am not sure where from are you getting those ‘1000’Rs medicines. It is really a surprise for me. If you feel these are costly enough , then you may visit to Govt hospitals in India , where these medicines are given free. Hope this helps.