Tag on my labia?

Q: After sex, I noticed that on my labia, a few inches below my clitoris, was a small, what looks like a tag. It is approx. 9mm long, 1mm wide, and only sticks off my labia about 1mm, so it is long and skinny. It doesn't hurt, and I know it isn't an STD. I have had cysts before, but this doesn't look like one.

Symptoms:  Just the tag, no pain.

A:   Thank you for your question. It difficult to determine the exact cause of this growth that you have observed on your labia. It is possible that this may be a benign skin tag as you have described. Skin tags are composed of an outgrowth of the epidermis and are not associated with cancer. We recommend that you have this examined by your doctor and it may be possible to remove it if you choose to. This can be done by anesthetizing the area, and excising it with a scalpel.

Thank you for choosing askthedoctor.com