Tailbone Injury Leads to ED?

Patient: I recently took a bad fall down my stairs and bruised up my tail bone pretty good. I did not go go the doctor and the pain has gradually decreased on its own (although its been three weeks and some pain remains). Since then I have had difficulty maintaining a strong erection and have had a decreased sex drive.I am in my late 20s, slightly out of shape but nothing some jogging and pushups wouldn’t fix. Never had this problem before.Could the injury be the cause? If so, what should I do about it? I’m tired of looking for reasons to avoid sex.

Doctor: Thank you for your question. We understand how distressing this may be for you. Injuries to the coccyx (tailbone) can af fect affect the pudendal nerve. This nerve supplies structures of the pelvic floor as well as genitals. If there is any dysfunction with the pudendal nerve, one can experience trouble initiating or maintaining an erection. It is possible that your injury may have resulted in temporary injury to the pudendal nerve or sacral spine, which would result in your erectile dysfunction. If you have not done so already, we recommend that you have an x-ray of your sacral spine performed to determine if us sustained any fractures to your tail bone other vertebrae in the lower back. Such injuries can result pudendal nerve dysfunction leading to erectile dysfunction. Please see your doctor.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com with your health query.