Take him to the doctor or not?

Patient : My normally healthy 20 month old son has been sick since January 24. He came down with a very high fever (102.8), which lasted about two days. We tried to treat with Tylenol and cool bath, but he didn't ingest much Tylenol. By Monday, his temp was down to about 100. He was okay through the week, but now he's got a runny nose and rattling cough. Our doctor is 50 miles away and we're in a snow emergency. I'm sure the roads will be better by afternoon, but I don't want to make the trip just to hear, "It's viral. There's nothing we can do," making my dangerous trip for naught. Advice?
Symptoms:  Runny nose, but drainage is clear. Rattling cough