Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Taking a pregnancy test while on arm implant birth control

Taking a pregnancy test while on arm implant birth control

Patient: Hi there,I had unprotected sex 23 days ago, and about a week ago I began getting pregnancy like symptoms. I have a Jadelle (levonorgestrel) implant in my arm and haven’t had a period in over 3 years (I’ve had the arm implant for 7 months and before that I was on depo provera for 2 years, 3 months). I took a home pregnancy test yesterday and it came up negative…I understand that you’re suppose to take the test when you’d normally get your period, but I have no idea when I would normally get my period. Is there a chance this test is a false negative? And if so, when should I take the test again?

Symptoms: Pain in breasts, sensitivity to smell, nausea

Doctor: HiThank you for the question.Home pregnancy tests are said to be about 97-99 percent accurate when used on or aft er the first day of your expected period. The hormone hCG, which is measured by pregnancy tests, may not be high enough to be detected prior to this date. Be sure to use the tests as directed, since this can alter the result if not used correctly. Always re-test yourself after a few days to be sure. If the tests keep showing negative, then your symptoms may be caused by another medical issue. If the problem continues then please seek immediate medical advice.I hope this will help you. Take care.

Patient: Unfortunately this doesn’t help at all…as stated early, I don’t get periods as I have a contraceptive implant in my arm. So I can’t wait until I get my period to take a pregnancy test.