Taking birth control for acne

Patient

Q: I have a mild case of acne on my face and back and I want to go on birth control pills because I've heard that it helps. Is there any risks to taking birth control for acne? Also, approximately how much would the prescription be?

Symptoms:  Acne
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. In females, a low does birth control medication may help in treating acne. Side effects include increased risk for development of blood clots in the extremities, irregular menstrual periods, and weight gain. We cannot comment on the price of this medication as there are many different types that can be prescribed all ranging in price. Please speak to your doctor for further detail to determine if this medication is appropriate for you.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com