Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Taking Evening Primrose Oil and Rhodiola Rosea?

Taking Evening Primrose Oil and Rhodiola Rosea?

Patient: Hi, I’m currently on Depo Provera and am experiencing erratic mood swings with a general feeling of being low or down. I also seem very irritable and argumentative one week out of 4. after doing some research, I wanted to take Evening Primrose for the mood swings and Rhodiola Rosea for the feeling low – are these 2 ok to take together?

Doctor: Thank you for your question. Both Evening Primrose and Rhodiola Rosea are alternative supplements that ‘claim’ to treat your mentioned symptoms however, the research on these supplements does not conclusively prove their efficacy. These supplements are not approved by the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) and we are not certain of specific brand’s contents, and safety. For this reason, we cannot approve of you taking these medications. We recommend that you follow up with your doctor to to be examined to determine if your symptoms are due to your contraceptive shot, a hormonal imbalances such as thyroid dysfunction, or possibly a psychological problem. After this is done, more appropriate treatment options will be offered to you.Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com