Taking H1N1 Vaccination and Regular Flu Shot on the Same Day.

Q: Is taking 2 influnza shots on the same day dangerous. My daughter got very ill after taking the seasonal flu shot and the H1N1 shot on the same day and had to be hospitalized for 2 weeks.

A:   I understand that you are worried about your daughter’s health after taking both vaccines on the same day. Let me reassure you that there is no contraindication in doing that, both vaccines protects us from different virus strains, they can be taken on the same day and they should not cause any serious complications.
However there are minor side effects reported especially in young patients; such as redness, sore and swelling of the area where the shot was given, also low grade fever, body aches and nausea. If your daughter suffered from any of these symptoms during the first 48 hours after receiving the vaccine, they might have been caused by the normal vaccine side effects with nothing to worry about.