Taking my child to an outdoor sporting event

Patient

Q: I am going to an out door sporting event. I have been hearing many things about measles over the news. I have a daughter who is 8 months old (not vaccinated). If I am vaccinated, can I still pass on a virus to her? Is it safe to go to the event?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

Here is the recommendation by the CDC for kids born in the USA.

MMR, the vaccine given for Measles Mumps and Rubella, is given at 12 months of age. This is the 1st dose. If the child leaves the country, then the first dose will be given anywhere between 6 to 12 months.

If you are not leaving the country, your child need not be vaccinated. Also, please note that a vaccine does not always give 100 % protection and you should always try to keep your child hygienic.

Hope this helps. All the best.