Taking Plan B when using Birth Control Pill

Patient: This week I have been on my period from Monday to Thursday. Friday afternoon I had sex with my boyfriend and the condom broke. Friday night my period started again, it is now Saterday morning and I am still on my period. I also take birthcontrol pills (Junel Fe 28) but I missed a dose on the 17th. Should I still take Plan B to prevent pregnancy?

Doctor: Plan B is recommended as an emergency from of contraception when 1/ you did not use contraception or 2/ your original fo rm of contraception failed.In your case, you were on a form of contraception – the oral birth control pill. It is quite effective when taken as prescribed. You did miss a dose. If you did not make up this dose by taking the missed dose right away sometime before your next dose, then it would be a reasonable choice to take Plan B.Plan B is best taken within 24 hours of unprotected sex.I hope that helps