Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Taking Prenatal vitamins and not pregnant

Taking Prenatal vitamins and not pregnant

Patient: Is it okay to take prenatal vitamins even if your not pregnant or planning to get get pregnant,also does it cause you to gain weight?

Doctor: Yes, you might take prenatal vitamins, but I do not see the reason to do so if you are not thinking to get pregnant in t he near future. I recommend you instead to take vitamins for young and active women; there are several commercial good brands that you can buy. Regarding the weight gain, not necessarily taking vitamins lead to that, you should keep a healthy diet and active lifestyle in order to avoid the overweight.