Taking Trileptal while pregnant.

Patient: Hi, I am concerned that I could possibly be pregnant. My real concern is that I am bipolar and taking trileptal. I have been on the medication for about 3 years. If I am pregnant I don’t want to do ANYTHING that could harm the baby in any way. I’ve read about it a bit online and there’s mixed opinions on the matter. It’s too soon for me to take a pregnancy test. What should I do? Is it harmful to take while pregnant?

Symptoms: None yet.

Doctor: Thank you for your question. Trileptal (Oxcarbazepine) is a mood stabilizing medication used to anxiety an other mood d isorders. It also is used as an anti-convulsive medication in the treatment of epilepsy. Trileptal is closely related to carbamazepine, which is known to be toxic to the developing embryo. It is therefore recommend that you do not take this medication while pregnant, as it may have the same effect. Please consult your obstetrician if you have any further concerns, and discuss what alternatives in medication you can take, that will be safe for your baby.Thank you for choosing aksthedoctor.com

Was this answer helpful?

View all posts