Tanning with Sunscreen

Patient

Q: Hello Doctor :)
I've done a little internet research and the conclusion I've arrived at is that people don't know if high SPF sunscreen will prevent or delay tanning or not. Opinions are varied and the uneducated masses have told each other everything under the sun (lol). As much as think I've learned from other medical sites is that SPF 15 should provide about 95ish%, and SPF 30 96-98% protection from UVA and UVB rays. Plus from microbiology class I've gained a basic understanding of how sunblock works chemically.
I'd like to get out in the sun for the whole day tomorrow. I'd like some color (every time I get blood taken the nurse or MLA asks me if I'm going to pass out. "No", I answer "I just look like this") but I also want to survive a full day of Mr Sun on me fair complexion.
Is there a happy medium where my skin is protected and I'll get some color on me? Will sunscreen slow or stop tanning, or does skin tan right through SPF 50?

p.s. In lieu of payment for services rendered I am submitting an entertaining photo. Thank you.

Doctor