Taste and smell impaired after using bleach

Patient : Hi Doctor, Two days ago, I used undiluted thick bleach (chlorine) to clean my bathroom. It is a small area, lacking ventilation. It took me a bit more than 1 hour to finish, during which I was exposed to this chemical. Soon after that, I noticed that my taste/smell had been impaired and it hasn't recovered yet. I am scared that I have damaged the sensory epithelium and I am worried if I will ever get my full senses back again. Could you please help me? Is this serious? Is there something I can do? Any information would be much appreciated! I'm 25, healthy and never had this kind of issues before. Kind regards, Asimina
Symptoms:  Poor smell and taste
Doctor :   Hello, Thanks for the query. This could be an acute reaction to exposure to chlorine and will eventually settle down . There is nothing for you to worry about. Try steam inhalations and it will help you to regain your olfactory senses. Also in case of a common cold, you may not be able to smell things well. Hope this helped. Regards

Related Q&A

Q: I had routine bloodwork done and all tests came back normal except for a raised ferratin 575. When tested again 6 wee...

Q: What is the solution Female, 28 Please I need a help as I had overdose Hyaluronidase and this has damaged my face...

Q: I have been having stuffy up nose , headache, pain in muscles, sore throat, sneezing . sometimes high fever . I don't...

Q: I had injections yesterday (12/11/17 at approximately 1:30 p.m.) called facet cervical via medial branch block bilate...

Q: Hello, I am 35 years old and unmarried not overweight I have an average body and my works is behind the desk work a...

 
DOCTOR ADVISORY BOARD
218

Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician
173

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician
138

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist
98

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon
CNN
BBC
MSNBC
CBS
abcNews
FoxNews