TB Test what should I do.

Q: I had a TB test 12 days ago and they said the test was ok, for my job I needed another one ten days later. Friday the 3rd I got my second one it has been 2 days and it has started itching and burning and has a red center and is swelled around the center out a half inch all the way around. Is this ok, am I having an allergic reaction, do I need to have a dr. look at it. Thanks

A:   The test which you have undergone is called as mantoux screening test . It is a screening tool used for tuberculosis. The reaction is read by measuring the diameter of induration (palpable, raised hardened area) across the forearm. The test is positive in various other conditions apart from TB. It is a two step testing where in the first test is read 48-72 hrs after injection, If its negative a second test is done 1 to 3 weeks after the first injection. The second test is read 48-72 hrs after injection. if the second test is positive then you have to consider that you are previously infected. I would suggest you go see the doctor and he might ask you to go for further evaluation.