Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Tea Tree Oil leave system?

Tea Tree Oil leave system?

Patient: Hello,I have been using straight tea tree oil in my hair twice a week to avoid hairloss for 2 years, and it has been working out fine, I have recently been advised to cease doing this as it may block testosterone, which is not worth it for the benefits. So I have stopped. I am just wondering how long it will take for tea tree oil to leave my system after I stop using it?

Symptoms: N/A

Doctor: Thank you for writing to us.Usually externally applied oils or creams are not controlled by metabolism of the body. Half-lives or the amount of time taken for the oil to eliminate depends on how much of the oil is absorbed into the body.I can guess the approximate half-life of this but cannot confirm it. This is because a study has not been done to check this. Usually a dosing is given every half-life time gap so since tea tree oil is given every 12 hours, I will assume the half-life to be 12 hours.It takes about 4 to 5 half-lives for the product to be almost completely eliminated, so your body should clear the oil in 48 to 60 hours. Hope this helps you. All the best.