Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Teen needs advice with birth control

Teen needs advice with birth control

Patient: Hello!!I have been taking a very strong dose of birth control for over a year now. I became extremely sick and stopped taking it. I’m pretty late on my period. I wanted to start a new pack today but was told that I should wait until I start my period and end it. is this true?

Symptoms: Late period, horrible cramps when I should be on my period, spotting

Doctor: Thank you for your query.Yes you have to wait till you get your period. Generally within 3-5 days after the last activ e pill you should be getting your menstrual cycle. If you are not getting the menstrual cycle even after 7 to 10 days past the last active pill it is better you consult your gynecologist for medical investigations & an ultrasound scan. Birth control pills are 99% effective in providing protection against an unwanted pregnancy. They are effective if taken regularly without missing from day 5 of the menstrual cycle till day 25 of the menstrual cycle. You should start the pill from either day 1 or latest by day 5 of the menstrual cycle for the effectiveness of the pill.Hope that answers your query. Have a good day.