Teenage pregnancy and concerns

Patient

Q: Is it easier to get pregnant while on your period

Doctor

A:   The inner lining of uterus, endometrium, as it is called, is programmed to shed itself once the blood levels of certain hormones plunge at cyclic intervals, and this is the cause of menstrual bleeding.
Ovulation or the release of an egg (ovum) usually occurs around the 14th day of the menstrual cycle, and thus an unprotected intercourse occurring around this time has a maximum chance of getting you pregnant; but this is not a rule, and in many women ovulation time may not be so predictable. This holds especially true for the ladies with irregular menstrual periods. Thus the so called The fertile period of a woman is determined by analyzing her menstrual cycle with an ovulation calculator or fertility chart. Normally, the menstrual cycle is a 28 day cycle. During the 14th day after a period, the ovum is released. This process is called ovulation and the days 12 to 16 days after a period are said to be a woman’s most fertile period.
Ovulation never occurs during a menstrual period. It is not likely for one to get pregnant during this time. However, in order to get personalized answer to your question, please hold a detailed discussion with your physician.