Teenager with pain from left shoulder down to the back

Patient

Q: Lately I have been having these extremely painful pains going from my left shoulder blade all the way down my back around to my stomach only on my left side. i would like to know what is causing this pain and what I can do to treat it. thank you

Doctor

A:   In the view that you are a teenager, you do not describe past episodes of back pain or have antecedent of scoliosis, possibly the pain may be due to a muscle strain. Usually this occurs when the back muscles have been stretched beyond normal limits, commonly known as a muscle pull. If you have a back sprain, your ligaments have been pulled apart resulting in spasms in the affected part of your back. Regardless of which type of strain you have, the course of treatment for both is the same. You will experience inflammation, spasms, lack of mobility all these insure limited movement. To go to a chiropractor is one of the treatment options for an uncomplicated muscle strain in the back, meaning when there is no nerve damage or compression, muscle rupture documented by MRI. They may teach you useful exercises to stretch the muscles in the spine, that you can repeat at home as a routine and after, apply ice to the sore area for no more than 20 minutes each time; you could also alternate warm moist compresses with ice packs. If after follow all of the above and correct possible wrong postures,  you still experience the pain associated to some other symptoms, then I would recommend to visit an Orthopedic doctor to rule out some other more serious causes of the back pain.