x
Browse
178 Physicians Online

Question:

Teenager with prominent ears seeks advice

Hello basically I'm here to talk about my ears, I'm 14 and I live in northern Ireland, my ears are just horrid, they stick out quite abit, I didn't use to notice them until junior high, I've really gotten self conscious about it, and tried online about how to fix them, so far I've glued and taped my ears to my head, but both hurt really bad, I didn't want to do surgery because I don't come from a rich family, I haven't gotten bullied a lot but I've been called elephant and monkey, and i think I have depression, I've gotten really sick looking in the mirror which doesn't help, because I'll keep glueing my ears to m head which will ruin my skin behind my ears, hairstyles don't really work for me because I'm too self conscious going into a hairdresser, my family is aware of me being self conscious of my ears but they think I don't care because I try to be strong, but really I'm hurting inside and not talking about it, which has lead to other problems such as me not wanting to go outside, and I don't want to talk to my dad about it because I'm abit embarrassed, and don't think I deserve it, because it's just ears right? I don't think people understand how difficult it is unless they actually have stick out ears, sometimes I just want to cut my ears off all together. So basically I just wanted some advice on what I should do, reasons for me not wanting surgery is basically the price, thank you for any advice given.

Answer:

I understand your predicament, but I am sorry to tell you that the only way to correct definitely the orientation and shape of your ears is surgical. You should consult a plastic surgeon with experience in ears correction to help you out with your issue.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

Dr. Suneel Sharman

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

Dr. Kunaal Jindal

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA