Teens, Losing My Virginity, Having Sex, Period, Pregnant!

Q: I lost my virginity about a month ago on Tuesday, 23rd of September and I got my period 3 days after on the 26th of September. I usually get it for two weeks straight and then sometimes I skip a month and get it the following month after that. Well, it's October and I guess I'm skipping again. He used a condom but I wasn't and still am not on the pill. He came but inside the condom and the condom was not damaged in any way. I'm worried that I might be pregnant, but I don't have any symptoms of pregnancy (i.e. morning sickness, nausea, or anything). Could I be pregnant even if he used a condom, and I got my period 3 days after we had sex?

Symptoms:  As I mentioned, I've had no symptoms. It's simply a question that I really need advice on. Thank you!

A:   Pregnancy is caused as a result of sexual intercourse only if it occurs within one's so called "fertile period". The fertile period of a woman is determined by analysing her menstrual cycle with an ovulation calculator or fertility chart. Normally, the menstrual cycle is a 28 day cycle. During the 14th day after a period, the ovum is released. This process is called ovulation and the days 12 to 16 days after a period are said to be a woman’s most fertile period. An intact condom is protective, but not hundred percent. You seem to suffer from Irregular periods. There are many causes for irregular periods. Polycystic ovarian syndrome and thyroid problems are common causes. The other causes could be Stress, mood disturbances, Improper diet, sleep problems, weight changes and all these factors affect your cycles. You need to have a healthy diet and reduce stress by making necessary healthy lifestyle changes, relaxation therapy, breathing exercises, meditation, yoga or aerobics. I would advise you to observe your periods and if they continue to be irregular, I would recommend that you see your doctor to rule out any underlying pathology.