Temp hearing loss do to overheating

Q: I have beta thalassemia minor and last year i had a heat stroke. Since then i have been having some temp hearing loss do to overheating at work. Not total hearing loss but muffled. My hearing returns to normal after cooling off later in the evening. This happens everyday and is not something that is minor, it is severe. I do sweat at extreme within 5 or 10 min of beening in the heat. I seem very sensitive to temp changes. First to be cold and first to be hot, to an extreme. Much, i know, is do to my anemia but the temp hearing loss for overheating is the question. What is the condition and can anything be done?

A:   Thank you for your question. It is possible that your heat intolerance could be due to an unrelated condition to your thalassemia. It is possible that your symptoms are being caused by an overactive thyroid gland. This could cause intolerance to heat, excessive sweating, nervousness, and irritability. It also may be related to your minor problem of decreased hearing. This is a commonly found in patients with thyroid dysfunction.
We do not want to rule out an unrelated cause of your hearing changes, and we recommend that you specifically mention this to your doctor so you can have your hearing examined. It is possible that you could be experiencing a condition such as autoimmune hearing loss. This is a serious condition, which requires immediate medical treatment. In order to determine if you have an overactive thyroid gland, you will need to be further examined by a doctor as well has have your thyroid function in your blood. Furthermore, you will need to have your hearing thoroughly examined by your doctor to determine the cause of your hearing loss. Please see your doctor.

Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com