x
Browse
154 Physicians Online

Question:

Tension and pain behind the knee

For about a year now i have had tension behind my knee that kept me from straigtening until i streched it out. couple weeks ago i stepped down and something snapped in the back and i have no more tension but it feels like something is injured with pain up the back of my leg when i walk. i went to the ortopedic dr. i saw last summer and he said it is arthritis and gave me a shot of cortezone but i still have the same problems and they seem to be getting worse

Answer:

According to your description, you may have a strain of the hamstring muscles.A muscle strain is associated with the tearing or excessive stretching of the muscle and can be equally as painful. Symptoms of muscle injury obviously involve pain, however it is not uncommon for the affected area to swell, redden and become bruised or discolored. All symptoms of muscle injury can range from mild to severe. Any muscle strain or muscle pull or even a muscle tear implies damage to a muscle or its attaching tendons. The time of healing varies from patient to patient and also depends on the severity of the injury. The conservative treatment consists of: initially, protection, rest, ice, compression, and elevation (known as the PRICE formula) can help the affected muscle and also maintaining the strained muscle in a stretched position. Heat can be applied when the swelling has lessened, anti-inflammatory drugs (i.e.: “Aleve”), rest the strained muscle and avoid the activities that caused the strain and other activities that are painful. A Physical Therapy program for 4-6 weeks must be followed and practice at home the stretching exercises above all. The healing time and conditions for each patient are different. If after doing all of the above you keep experiencing limitation of the movements, severe pain, swelling, I strongly recommend you an evaluation by a Sports Medicine Specialist.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA