Tension in the neck following a fall

Patient

Q: I just felet like I have missed a step on a levelled surface and my hand quivered a bit with some tension on my neck followed by continous minor pain like a heartbeat on one side of my head. I am not sure what this can mean. please help me.

Doctor

A:   The neck pain may have many causes including: muscle strain, ligaments sprains, arthritis, or a radicular compression (pinched nerve). A cervical strain may be produced by everyday life stress like inadequate postures, muscle tension maybe from psychological stress or poor sleeping habits. You may have: stiffness and tightness, the pain of course and the limitation in the movements, all these may last up to six to 8 weeks. In the majority of cases the conservative treatment is effective, meaning: anti-inflammatory medication, local alternating ice and heat, massage and practice a stretching exercise routine consistently every day. If after follow these measures the pain does not improve a further evaluation is recommended to rule out other more serious possible causes of the neck pain and according to that decide the best treatment option for you.